Guys, we have had quite a time trying to build a new shed on our property this past year, but I “think” we are finally in the home stretch! Plans on our “new” old shed are moving forward, but first, I wanted to give you a quick recap of our “shed-saga.”
When we bought the house almost two years ago, it had a 30+ year old shed to the right of the driveway.
It was yellow and green with a barn like roof. The foundation was rotting, as well as the siding. As much as I hated the look of that little shed, we desperately needed it to store stuff while renovating the inside of our home.
But we knew that eventually, when we didn’t need it anymore, we would tear it down.
The old yellow shed was not even actually on our property. It was on the remnant (non-buildable) piece of property next to us. The previous home owner had an agreement with the remnant property owner to build the shed there in exchange for mowing the remnant property.
The old yellow shed has had electricity running to it from our house all these years, but because it was so old, we still wanted to tear it down and build a new one.
It was SUCH an eye sore, and didn’t go well with the exterior renovation we had done on the rest of the house.
What I thought might be a few months of using and keeping the shed, has ended up being almost TWO YEARS! UGH!
But FINALLY, last spring, we started to build a new shed on the back of our property behind our house.
Jonathan helped Cy build the cutest little square shed behind our house on the left side of our property.
We worked with Krylon and Purdy on painting our new little shed, and I absolutely LOVED it!!
We landscaped the shed and added new lights to the exterior, but hadn’t done anything to the inside of the shed yet when we got a visit from “planning and zoning.” Someone from planning and zoning drives by our house on the way to work each day and noticed we had two sheds on our property.
They informed us that we can’t have two sheds on our property. (The yellow shed was still standing at this point because we still had stuff in it that we couldn’t move until we built the new shed.).
Many of our neighbors down the street have two sheds, but supposedly those are “grandfathered” in to the property.
When Nashville had the HUGE flood in 2010, a lot of rules and regulations were changed as to what you could and couldn’t build on your property. Since our home backs up to a creek, we are technically in a flood zone and can’t build anything new.
After MONTHS of talking with planning and zoning and exhausting EVERY option we could come up with that would allow us to keep our new shed, we eventually were forced to tear it down. :(
That was a very sad day for me. Cy had worked so hard building this shed, and it turned out so cute! It just made no sense to us that we couldn’t keep it.
So we turned our eyes back to the old yellow shed that we wanted to tear down. Because this old shed was “grandfathered in” to the property, we could keep it, (even though it is technically not on our property.)
The rules were that we could repair any thing that needed repairing , BUT we couldn’t move it or change the size of it.
Well, because it was literally rotting from top to bottom, we replaced and repaired all of the flooring and walls.
The shingles needed replacing, but we wanted to reuse the tin roofing from the other shed we built, so we had to change the roof line. We told planning and zoning that we would be reusing the tin roofing instead of replacing the shingles, and they didn’t say we couldn’t, so we hope we are good. Changing the roof line technically changed the “size” of the shed, but we are hoping they don’t fuss over that since we had to tear our other brand new shed down.
You can see in these photos that we basically had to replace all of the studs in the wall. Thankfully, we were able to use a lot of the wood from the other shed which saved us a ton of money since lumber prices are astronomical right now!
The picture below shows how Cy basically rebuilt the shed. This is the back side of the shed, and you are facing the road when looking at this picture.
After they rebuilt the walls, Cy added new plywood to the sides of the walls.
We bought some basic exterior doors from Lowe’s to go on the front of the shed since this shed will be insulated and have a cooling and heating unit.
Below is a picture I took when I was standing in the very back of the shed…
I’m SOOOO excited about how much MORE space we have with this shed. It’s actually 12 x 25 feet!
The front part of the shed will be my office space, and the back part of the shed will be for Cy’s tools. Cy is building a wall in the shed to separate the two spaces. He side will not be insulated or have heating and air.
To access the tool side of the shed, Cy put a door where the window used to be on the back.
We are reusing the door from the other shed for the back of this one.
Cy installed board and batten on the sides of the shed, and we painted it my favorite color, Ebony Fields by Valspar.
This is what the shed looked like as of last week, and I LOVE IT!!! This has seriously been a case of making lemonade from lemons.
We have already added more details to the exterior that I can’t wait to show you!!
I’ll be sharing another shed update in a future post.
Until then, have a wonderful weekend, friends!