I was hoping to have an adoption update for you by now, but it will have to be in my next post. Too many pictures to go through. :) But all is well, and we are having a wonderful time with our girl.
Today, I wanted to show you how we made the “It is well with my soul” wood sign for our back patio makeover!
This project is one that I have been wanting to do for a looong time, so I’m glad I finally tackled it. It was so much fun to make that I will be making more signs for other areas of my house. :)
We started with a 2×4 piece of plywood from Home Depot.
Then I created the image of “it is well with my soul” in picmonkey and had it printed at Office Max as an 2ft x 3ft engineer print for about $3.50. (If you would like me to email you the image I used, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Before tracing the sign on the wood board, we gave the board one coat of Dark Walnut stain and let it dry.
Doesn’t it look pretty? We stained the board so that when we sand the top coat of paint, a dark color will show through instead of the original light wood color.
Then we used the same exterior paint that we used on the exterior brick on our house. It is Benjamin Moore White Dove. We applied two thin coats to cover up the stain.
Then I bought some carbon copy paper when I picked up my finished print at Office Max, and taped it to the back of the print.
Once the carbon paper was taped on, I flipped my print over and taped it to the left side of my board (to make it easier to cut down the right side of the board later.)
I traced the words with a pen.
And it looked something like this when I removed the print from the wood board…
Next, I used a small paintbrush to fill in the outline of the words. For my paint, I used a charcoal gray craft paint.
When I was finish painting the words, Cy cut off the extra wood on the right side of my sign.
The last two steps were to add the trim and sand the board. We cut and stained 1 x 2’s of the trim. I was planning on sanding the board, but Cy did it while I wasn’t at home and sanded it a little more rustic than I wanted. #thatstinker
To fix it, I just used the same White Dove paint and mixed it with a little water and applied it to the parts where he sanded too much. It was an easy fix!
For the trim, we put some wood glue on the edges…
And then we used a nail gun to nail the edges in place.
Here is our finished sign before I lightly painted over some of the sanded parts. :)
We are SO THRILLED with how it turned out! It was just what I was wanting for this spot…our peaceful retreat.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you liked this project! Let me know if you have any questions in the comments!