I have been working fast and furiously on my master bedroom re-do. I have gotten a lot done but still have more to do.
I wanted to share with you the entertainment armoire that I found for our bedroom.
As I told you before, I wanted to be able to hide the tv in our bedroom. To do this, I decided to try and find an entertainment armoire to re-do.
I searched at some antique malls and on Craig’s list, but had no luck. The ones on Craig’s list were all $200 to $300, and I didn’t want to pay that much. (Remember, I am doing my master bedroom re-do on a $700.00 budget.)
One day I ran into a Habitat store and saw this armoire…
I walked over to check the price and expected it to be way more than what I would have wanted to pay.
So you can imagine my surprise when I saw that it was only $40.00!!! I was so excited!
To be honest, it wasn’t exactly the style I was looking for, but for 40 bucks, I could learn to love it!
When I opened the doors, I quickly realized why it was only 40 dollars…
The back was gone!!
But that didn’t bother me or Eli one bit! That was an easy fix! (My 8 year old help me take these pictures.) :)
I called my honey and said, “Honey, I found an armoire for 40 bucks!”
He said, “Great!”
I said, “The back is gone.”
He said, “Oh.”
“Can you put a back on it for me?”
So I paid my forty dollars and took that baby home! :)
Here it is from behind…
My hubby applied wood glue to the edges…
And then used his staple gun to nail the new back on…
( 4 x 8 sheet of birch plywood – $18.00 at Lowe’s)
I also need some more storage space inside the armoire for baskets, so my hubby built some extra shelving. He used a 4 x 8 sheet of MDF board for the shelves since we were going to paint them. It cost approximately $ 15.00 at Lowe’s, but we only used a little of it. My husband used the leftover wood to make a work table for his garage.
Here are the products I used…
First I applied a liquid deglosser over the entire piece to prepare the surface for painting.
Then I primed the fronts of the armoire with KILZ. Technically, I should have primed the entire armoire for the paint to adhere properly. However, I knew that I wanted to sand down the edges of the armoire after I painted it. If I had primed the edges, the white primer would have shown through, and I didn’t want that.
So I didn’t prime any of the parts that I was planning on sanding. Again, this is my way, not necessarily the right way. :)
I did prime the insides of the armoire because I knew I would be painting them black.
I used my favorite Valspar paint in black satin to paint it.
Then I used a medium grit sanding sponge to sand the edges like this…
I love the way the cherry wood shows through.
Here it is in my room…
(I am sorry these pictures are not the best, but I think I had my camera on the wrong setting. Now it is nighttime and too late to take any good pictures.)
I love the way it turned out!
I just threw some things on top to take these pictures. :)
And I haven’t bought any handles yet. I am still trying to decide what type I want.
Here is the inside of the armoire…
I got the baskets at Gordman’s. They were 10 dollars a piece. We are using them to store socks and such.
I love the way the doors slide back into the armoire. And the tv is up good and high so we can see it perfectly from our bed! :)
We are using the bottom of the armoire to hold some of my husband’s clothing.
Here are the total costs:
Armoire – $40
Wood for back and shelves – approx. $25.00
Paint – $9.00
Baskets – $20.00
So the whole project cost me less than $100.00! Not bad.
I found this armoire at an antique mall a few weeks ago and almost bought it…
They were asking $375.00 for it. I think my armoire turned out just as nice, and I saved $275.00 by being a little creative!
So I used the money I saved to buy a little “bling” for my room!
Here’s a sneak peak…
Ooh-la-la…I love it!
Stay tuned for more of my master bedroom makeover!
I am linking this project up to…
Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day!