Ya’ll… This Chunky Monkey Nice Cream is my current favorite cold treat for these hot summer days! If you’ve ever made banana nice cream you’ll know that it’s super easy, but if you haven’t tried this chunky monkey nice cream flavor- you are missing out! Think of this as the “naughty” nice cream flavor. It’s deliciously packed with treats while still being vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and so much healthier than the classic ice cream treat!
This chocolate banana nice cream is loaded with toasted nuts, smooth fudgy swirls of nut butter, and dark chocolate bits! Welcome to flavortown, USA!
When I was a kid, my favorite ice cream flavor was Moose Tracks (you know, the one with little peanut butter cups and chocolate fudge swirls?)… I even remember the day that I first tasted that delicious cold treat! Oh, childhood bliss and nutritional ignorance! :) And then there was my discovery of Almond Mocha Fudge ice cream in college… can you say “freshman 15”? Haha! The theme is clear: I like my ice cream LOADED with flavor goodness!
That’s why I love this Chunky Monkey Nice Cream- it satisfies all of those delectable childhood ice cream dreams! (sans the guilt, dairy-induced bloating, inflammation, or sugar coma… yay!)
- 3 Med Frozen Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 Cup Creamy Nut Butter (I used all natural)
- 1-2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (I use 1 Tbsp but you can add more if desired)
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Semisweet or Dark Chocolate Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Nuts of choice (I used crushed roasted salted peanut, but toasted walnuts or pecans are great too!)
- *Additional chopped nuts and nut butter for topping!
- Blend together bananas and nut butter in food processor or strong blender just until banana is in small pieces.
- Add maple syrup, cocoa, and vanilla extract, then blend until smooth. Stop as soon as it becomes creamy, Do Not Over Mix. Texture should be thick and creamy.
- Scoop into serving dishes, then drizzle with nut butter and top with crushed nuts of choice and dark chocolate morsels.
- *Serve immediately for best results and creaminess!
If you’d like to get really fancy with your Chunky Monkey Nice Cream, consider trying these twists:
- For a Protein Boost: Add ¼ cup of your favorite vanilla or chocolate protein powder to the banana nice cream before blending to a creamy smooth texture! (add a tiny bit of almond milk if needed). The protein powder will provide an extra dose of flavor, protein boost, and a creamier texture (since most protein powders have xanthan gum or something similar to create a creamy consistency).
- For an Espresso Shot: Add 2 cubes of frozen espresso (or strong coffee frozen in an ice cube tray) with your frozen bananas and blitz until smooth! If you want a more prominent mocha flavor, use a lighter flavored nut butter (such as cashew butter) instead of peanut or almond butter.
- Sweep the Kitchen: Add toasted coconut flakes, pieces of fresh banana, or use avocado instead of the nut butter for additional creaminess. What is your favorite Nice Cream flavor?
One of my favorite things about this chunky monkey nice cream flavor is the swirls of nut butter that turn into fudgey ribbons in the frozen nice cream! Add bits of chocolate and nuts and I am one happy camper!!
*Pro Tip: Prep your frozen banana chunks in a single layer in your freezer (keeping the freezer bag flat or using a tray so they won’t clump), then you can grab what you need for a quick smoothie or chunky monkey nice cream treat! Banana nice cream is the best when enjoyed right after making it- so I like to have all my ingredients handy (in order to enjoy it at the prime point of creaminess)!