I spent the weekend on several projects, but unfortunately none of them turned out quite the way I had hoped.
So I will be tweaking them this week and hopefully sharing them with you soon.
In the meantime, I will share with you a fun little project I tried last week.
I got my inspiration from a magazine I was flipping through at a bookstore.
It was a picture of a grouping of candles covered in sheet music.
I went off to Hobby Lobby to buy some candles and scrapbook paper.
I was hoping to find some sheet music scrapbook paper, but they didn’t have any.
So I chose a paper that looked like script writing.
I also got some brown ribbon, but ended up not using it.
First, I covered the back of the paper with ModPodge.
Then I wrapped the paper around the candle and trimmed the excess. When it was mostly dry, I added another layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper.
Then to give it more of an “aged” look, I added a layer of Valspar Mocha Glaze with a paper towel.
I had three candles. One tall one, and two medium ones.
I wanted them to all be different sizes, so I cut the bottom off of one of them with my electric knife.
Yup. I did.
That little electric knife was “going to town” but was having trouble cutting all the way through the candle.
So I had to get out the “big dog” and finish it up.
Oh….the crafty wisdom I share on this blog!
Okay. Maybe not the best method. But I got the result I wanted. I stuck them in the wooden fruit stand I made last week to see what they would look like.
The candles in my inspiration picture from the magazine had cute little ribbons hanging from them.
I tried several different ribbons, but couldn’t get the look I was after.
So a resorted to my old friend, Mr. Burlap.
I thought I took a picture of the next step, but I couldn’t find it.
I took my tan burlap and spray painted it black. I’ve never tried this before, so I was feeling rather brilliant for coming up with the idea.
I love burlap. I love black. I love black burlap!
Then I cut a strip of the burlap and wrapped it around my candles.
But it needed something more.
So I took the “Spare Parts” that I had left over from my Magnet Board tutorial, and added a little bling.
I think I like it better with the bling.
I am not totally blown away with the results, but I am blown away with how easy it was to do.
I started thinking about how cute it would be to wrap candles in a damask print or an animal print. There are so many different types of scrapbooking paper that you could find something to match the decor in any room in your house. You could embellish the candles with just about anything…monograms, jute string, ribbons, charms, etc.
Let me know if you try this and send me some pictures. I know you ladies will come up with some beautiful ideas!
I am linking this project to:
Get your Craft On at Today’s Creative Blog
and more to come.
Have a blessed week!
Check out my new Sponsor!