I am linking this project to…
I wanted to show you a table that I painted for my back patio.
It used to be my mom’s, and she gave it to me several years ago to use in my home. Originally, it was cherry, but Mom suggested that I paint it black. Mom was the Queen of painting furniture!
So I painted it black and put silver drawer pulls on it. (The original pulls used to be brass.)
It was in my kitchen for several years.
After re-doing my kitchen, I didn’t have the space for it anymore, so I moved it outside to our patio.
I also painted the mirror above the table to put on the brick wall. I was hoping to reflect the beautiful scenery in our back yard. I’m not crazy about the black mirror. It’s not exactly what I was looking for, but it is good enough for now.
I decided that the table would show up better on the wall if it were painted white. I thought it might look a little like this table from my favorite inspiration spot, Ballard Designs catalog…(which costs over $300.00 by the way)….
So I grabbed some cans of white Krylon spray paint and went to town on the table.
Now, you need to know that I skipped many steps that should have been followed at this point.
I probably should have sanded the table with a sponge or liquid sandpaper, but I didn’t.
I should have also painted a base coat of KILZ primer to help the new coat of paint to adhere correctly, but I didn’t.
Why, you ask?
Two reasons: exhaustion and lack of time
I’ve been so busy working this summer, that I haven’t had time for many projects. So when I finally had a few minutes to work on a project, I skipped a few steps and went right to the final coat of paint.
I wasn’t really worried if it didn’t turn out perfectly because I like the “old” look and because I know that it is a piece of furniture that I will probably replace down the road.
The table had previously been painted black with a latex paint. The white spray paint I used was oil-based. Not a good combo.
A weird reaction occurred and the paint did not go on smoothly.
But frankly girls, I just didn’t care.
I did grab one of my sanding sponges and sanded over the rougher patches, and then I added another coat of spray paint.
After all the pieces were dry, I used a medium coarse sanding sponge to sand down the edges.
You might be able to see in the next picture how the white paint did not adhere to the black paint and left sort of a “crackle” finish. I just figured I would use my mistake to my advantage. I knew that when I added the glaze, the “crackle” patches would give the furniture an aged look.
Next, I added a layer of my very favorite glaze, Valspar Mocha, to the top of the furniture. You can get this at Lowe’s. I bought it last year, and I believe it was around 15 dollars. It has definitely been worth every penny! I have used it on a ton of projects and I still have a lot left!
I just apply the glaze with a dry paper towel. You have several minutes to “play” with the glaze to get it to look like you want it to. I put it on a little thicker than I did on previous projects because I thought the brown would go well with the brown stain on our concrete.
You can make the glaze as dark or light as you want. I usually use a wet paper towel to wipe down the glaze even more, but I didn’t with this project.
I know it is hard to tell by this picture, but the table now definitely has an “aged” look.
I tried to find new handles that would fit the drawers, but they didn’t have the size I needed at Lowe’s. It’s hard to tell by the picture below, but the holes on the handle are wider than the holes on the drawer. (That is my sweet Luke helping hold the handle up for the picture.) ;)
I didn’t have any wood putty to fill in the old holes, so my hubby gave me this weird “fix-it stick” to fill in the holes. I had to pinch off a piece of the “playdough-like” putty and kneed it in my fingers for a few minutes. Then I filled up the holes in the drawers and let them dry for about 15 minutes. After it was dry, I painted over the putty with white paint, and then I used a drill to make new holes in the drawer.
I added the new handles to the drawers, and I think it looks great!
By the time I finished this project, it was about 9:00 p.m., so I had to turn on the lights on the patio to take these pictures. Sorry for the poor quality.
I love the way the table “pops” off the brick wall. It shows up so much better.
Now I need to accessorize the table, but I am stuck right there.
I’ll worry about that tomorrow! :)
Just to keep it real, I wanted to show you how I “butchered” the drawers with the drill bit and messed up the holes. The handle does not cover the old holes, but I don’t think anyone will ever notice it. I may fix the holes later, but I doubt it.
It’s good enough for me!
I will be working on accessorizing the table by Thursday. That is the day I am hoping to show you some more accessories I have added to the patio as well.
But for now, I am just enjoying the look of my “new” table!
UPDATED: AUGUST 18, 2010
Here’s a picture of my table accessorized…
Have a blessed day!
P.S. I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment. It makes my day! :)