Did you have a good weekend?
Mine was wonderful! We have gotten a lot more accomplished around our new home, and we are thoroughly enjoying all of our 5 acres. Jonathan said our land was “a boy’s paradise!” How sweet! I pray many amazing family memories will be made here together!
Here is a picture of the first makeover project we have already begun to tackle…
Project Front Porch Restoration!
Oh yeah, Baby!!
I am so excited about how it looks now and can’t wait to share it with you.
But today, I am excited to have Jen from Tatertots and Jello with us today!
I got to meet Jen briefly at Blissdom but have vowed to spend much more time with her at the next conference we attend together. She is so talented, and genuine, and she is as sweet as everyone says she is. I am so glad to call her my blogfriend!
Thanks for helping me out, Jen!
Hi! I’m Jen from Tatertots & Jello and I am so excited to be here.
I met Traci at Blissdom and had such a fun time getting to know her!!
I’d love to share a little project I recently made –
my Chevron Ottoman Slipcover!
I have been having such a fun time lately with Chevron.
I love the graphic look of it and I have found so many different colors of chevron material.
I especially love this blue chevron material.
I recently ordered from fabric.com. I had a very old ottoman sitting in my bedroom. I had wrapped some blue material around it to hide the 1990’s plaid fabric. When this blue chevron material arrived in the mail I knew I needed to make a slipcover for this sad, stained ottoman.
I have never really made a slipcover. So I kind of stumbled my way through this project!
Here’s what I did:
The first thing I did was I measure the top of the ottoman and added 1 inch to each side.
Then I measure the width of the sides of the ottoman and left about 2 inches for the pleated ruffle.
I drew the picture on a piece of paper with the measurements. I am a visual person and this is the best way I could figure this project out.
Then I cut out the top of the ottoman and all four sides.
I sewed the sides of the ottoman onto the top of the ottoman cover.
And then I sewed the side up. I made the seam allowances as small as I could because I was afraid I wouldn’t have enough room to fit the cover over the ottoman.
Luckily the cover turned out to be the perfect size once it was sewn.
Now I turned my attention to the pleated ruffle.
I measure the circumference of the ottoman and added 150% to the total. Then I measured 5 inches and folded the material so that the ruffle was 2.5 inches wide. I sewed the ruffle and then ironed it so it was flat.
Then I laid the cover inside out and pinned the ruffle onto the cover. I pinned the ottoman cover to the ruffle in 8 sections. The first I pinned and the I pinned the opposite section of ruffle to the opposite section of the cover. Then I did the same thing with the other two sides. And so forth. Then I took the material that was for each section and made 1 inch ruffles all the way around the cover. I did have to repin a few times. And this part of the slipcover is tedious, but so worth it once you are done!
Once the ruffle was pinned, I sewed it onto the inside of the slipcover.
And then I was done!!
I just love my new slipcover. It totally transforms the look of the ottoman – totally updating it!!
And, just for fun – I made a couple of matching pillow covers. They look so good in my living room. And, they would also fit in perfectly in my bedroom too!!
Thanks for letting me stop by and share my Chevron obsession – lol!!
Great Job, Jen!
For more amazing projects be sure to visit Jen at Tatertots and Jello!