Good morning~ I’m so grateful to be here with you this morning! I love being a contributor at Beneath my Heart and I just love Traci too… she’s awesome, as you all know :)
It’s the time of year for soups! When the leaves start to change and the days begin to cool down into winter.
I love it! It just warms me right up and makes me feel all snuggly inside.
French Onion Soup with Baguette is a savory delight that most people only order at restaurants.
But, you can do it at home too and you won’t believe how simple it really is either! I promise.
French Onion Soup with Baguette
- 8 shallots,fine diced
- 2 pounds yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 C Sherry Wine
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz greuyere cheese, shreaded
- 1 french baguette
- In a heavy pot saute the all the onions until very brown in color
- slowly to develop flavor and natural sweetness.
- (may need extra butter during the cooking time.)
- Add the beef and chicken broth along with the Sherry.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot. (stir and make to get up all the flavor bits from the bottom of the pan)
- Bring to a simmer and add the thyme, cover with lid.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: Thinly slice baguette on a diagonal, drizzle with olive oil, toast on half sheet pan under broiler.
- Once bread is lightly toasted add a slice of cheese onto each piece of bread, place back under broiler for approx 1 minutes- until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Place the hot soup into a soup bowl, top with toasted baguette and cheese, serve.
Here a couple of other soups you may also want to make this winter…
Happy Autumn! I hope these soups inspired some deliciously savory cooking in your kitchens :)
I’d love to have you come and visit me anytime at www.cookingwithruthie.com