How to Refinish an Antique Claw Foot Tub {Check out my New Tub!}

July 9, 2012 AT 12:32 pm 79 Comments

claw foot tub 017

Last year, we found this great antique claw foot tub on Craigslist.

tub

You can see the video HERE.

Well, it was finally time to refinish this baby!

So Cy set the tub up outside on some saw horses this past week.

claw foot tub 011

I’m not totally sure how completely safe this set up was, but it worked for us. Smile

claw foot tub 004

As you can see, the tub needed a little TLC.

claw foot tub 005

I took a picture of the bottom of the tub to show you when it was made.  How cool is that?

claw foot tub 014

Cy used an orbital sander, with 80 grit sander paper, at first to get the flakes off the outside of the tub.  With a cast iron tub, it is hard to get a perfectly smooth surface.

claw foot tub 027

Next, he sanded it with 120 grit sand paper, and then 220 grit to get it as smooth as he could.

claw foot tub 030

There were a few spots on the tub that sanded down to the metal, so he sprayed those spots with a spray primer so the paint would adhere.

Next, he chose to use white automotive paint from PPG that we had left over from another job that he had done a couple years ago.   Many people use automotive paint for the outside of the tub, but it is not necessary.

You could use the same tub and tile kit that we used on the inside of our tub (see below) on the outside of the tub if you wanted.claw foot tub 037

Aaaahhh…doesn’t it look beautiful already?

claw foot tub 043

Next, it was time to apply gel paint stripper on the inside of the tub.  Cy didn’t have gloves on at first, but he quickly put them on, along with safety glasses.  This stuff will eat your skin up!

claw foot tub 045

Let me tell you that my husband did this work in 100 degree temperatures!  It was BRUTAL!!!

claw foot tub 047

He spent hours in the sun stripping the inside of the tub.  This was the most difficult part of the whole process by far.

claw foot tub 051

He used a scrapper and wire brush to help strip off the paint.

claw foot tub 055

I kept bringing water and gatorade out to him about every 10 minutes.  The boys and I watched him work from the comfort of our air conditioning inside the house.

claw foot tub 057

He is such a hard worker!  I think I fell a little more in love with him that day. Smile

After he cleaned up all the paint residue from inside the tub, he used his sander again to smooth out the surface.

claw foot tub 058

He used 180 grit sand paper.

claw foot tub 068

You can see that there was rust around the drain.

claw foot tub 063

So Cy covered the rust with a spray primer/sealer.

claw foot tub 072

Here is the spray primer that he used.  This will keep the rust from coming back and help the paint to adhere to the metal.

claw foot tub 074

To  paint the inside of the tub, Cy used this Tub and Tile refinishing kit from Lowe’s.  It’s about $40 for a box, and we used almost two boxes.

Homax Quart Interior High Gloss Paint and Primer in One

We bought the spray on refinishing kit, but Cy said there is also a brush-on kit you can purchase as well.

You want to make sure you spray the epoxy paint on in small, smooth strokes.

We did three coats of epoxy, lightly scuffing with steel wool between each coat.  Cy also used a tack cloth between each coat to get any dust/steel wool particles off the surface.

claw foot tub 077

Notice the red towel Cy is holding?  It wasn’t for the tub, it was for his head because his sweat kept dripping into the tub.  That’s how hot it was!

For the claw feet, we just removed them from the tub and lightly sanded them before painting.  You can spray them with a primer first if you want, be we didn’t.

claw foot tub 020

We used some Valspar metallic spray paint at first

claw foot tub 022

I wasn’t crazy with the results.  It looked a little dull.

claw foot tub 095

I was hoping for a shinier, “chrome-ier” look on the feet, so I went back to Lowe’s and got Rustoleum’s metallic spray paint.

claw foot tub 094

I was super happy with the results!  I don’t know if you can tell the difference in the pictures, but the Rustoleum spray paint was definitely shinier than the Valspar spray paint.

claw foot tub 093

We left everything dry real good before bringing it back into the house.

Here is Cy hooking up the tub faucet.

claw foot tub 104

Here is Eli enjoying the running water we FINALLY have in our bathroom!   Woohoo!

claw foot tub 112

Now we have a beautiful claw foot tub to enjoy!

claw foot tub 025

I love the way it turned out!  We have about $250 dollars in this tub (minus the faucet), and I think it is just as beautiful as this claw foot tub that sells for about $1,200 at VintageTub.  And that is on the low end of prices.Bella Casa 54 Inch Cast Iron Classic Clawfoot Tub Wall Drillings

Cy also finished the window trim in the bathroom this weekend.  I will be posting a video tutorial of that soon.

claw foot tub 043

What do you think of our “new” claw foot tub?  Do you think the money we saved was worth all the hard work?

If you have any more questions about this process, just let me know!

Thanks!

Comments

1. It’s gorgeous!!!! You guys did an amazing job refinishing it. Love watching your bathroom come together!
    Jessie @ Imperfectly Polished recently posted..Our Next Project: Master Bath!

2. It looks so good!! I dream of having a clawfoot tub one day :) Looks like a lot of hard work went into it but soo worth it! Can’t wait to see your new master bathroom/bedroom all done!

3. I love it!! I’m sure it was a lot of work…and if it wasn’t so hot, y’all would probably feel like it was an even better deal! In the long run though, you saved a LOT of dough! That’s got to feel good! It’s gorgeous!
    Jessica recently posted..Big Brother

4. anything is worth it when you do it right and do it your self. Cy sure put a lot of love and hard work into that tub and it shows. You all will enjoy bathing in it more knowing all the love that went into it.
    the MB is shaping up. can’t wait till you put all your little finishing touches on it for the final reveal.
    cheryl recently posted..::ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND BACK, PART 2

5. Wow, wow, WOW!!! I think just knowing how much work went into it, and how hard your husband worked on it, actually makes yours look even BETTER than the brand new expensive one. That looks FANTASTIC!
    Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating recently posted..Make It Happen Monday — Have You Seen This Fabric?

6. Your claw foot tub came out beautiful! II love the chrome feet. It was definitely worth the effort!
    Mary@athomeonthebay recently posted..Summer Fruit Pizza

7. It is beautiful! Does is weigh a ton? I ask because my uncle has one he offered to give me. It is in much worse shape than yours was to begin with. I would love to have it, but worry about how difficult it would be to maneuver it, first for refinishing, then getting it into the house. I’m not sure it’s a project my husband would get on board with, since we have a perfectly functioning (boring) tub.
    Autum recently posted..I have a new headboard

8. MarLaney says:

WOW!!! Amazing! Yes Cy’s hard work is worth every penny saved! Plus you’re reusing and keeping that beauty from being tossed. You’re one lucky lady to have such a hard working talented hubby who shares your vision….my hubby would of said, “nope, not doing all that hard work just to save $1000. Lets just put in a shower.” Lol

Hope you get to enjoy your new tub soon!

9. Joyce Ostermiller says:

Love your tub! I do have a question about claw foot tubs though. How in the world do you clean behind them, next to the wall?

10. Wow a lot if sweat equity there but she’s a beauty! And you have the real deal, not a vintage tub wanna be!

11. Sally L says:

Wow!! It is beautiful!! Great job!

12. your bathroom surely is shaping up nicely. and that tub! the transformation was unbelievable & all for $250. that’s such a steal for the result you got!
    Marissa@ohhhsolovely recently posted..scallops

13. Amazing! I have been wanting a claw foot tub for a long time. Never thought to look on Craigslist. I will be checking now. Great Job!

14. Oh Traci, it looks absolutely stunning. I am so impressed with your husband and working in 100 degree temps. I would have given up as soon as I stepped outside. His very hard work paid off. I hope you’ll let him soak and take a bubble bath!! ;)

15. Gorgeous! Your husband rocks! I can totally tell the difference between the spray chrome. :) I thought you’d go with a darker type color like that dark coppery looking color.
    Nessa the Procrastinator recently posted..Pinterest Projects Week: {Day One} Elephant wall hanging

16. It looks so amazing, Traci! Cy is a genius and I love your vision for the bathroom. I can’t wait to see the finished look! Your posts always inspire and add just the right amount of ‘umpf’ to remind us what is possible as we continue to search for the perfect farmhouse to restore. :O)

17. KFowler says:

OMG, this is GORGEOUS!! Seriously, am so jealous right now! Love it. <3

18. Sandy A says:

Your tub is just beautiful and so much more worth the time your absolutely amazing husband spent fixing it up to the beauty it has become!!! You sure got a good one with Cy–he is so talented and willing to work so hard. I do not know many men like that. My husband is always willing to work hard and tries a lot of things–but he could use some classes from your husband in the DIY area. Enjoy you lovely new claw foot tub…..

19. I am in love. It sure looks nice in your bathroom. I have just stating to look at bloggs.
    Do you live in an old country house or are you making a new one look old?

20. What a man! Great job on the tub. I bet you can’t wait for a nice long soak. Your bathroom is turning out just fab.
    Pine Tree Home recently posted..Spray Paint: Fixing Up The Trash Can

21. Michelle says:

Love it. It has always been a dream of mine to have a claw foot tub. I feel in love with the idea when I was a teenager. My husband also has the same dream. However I have a feeling he would not spend as much time as your did to restore one. He did a wonderful job. Now when you are taking a nice relaxing bath you will appreciate that claw foot beauty a little bit more. I can’t wait to see the completed bathroom.

22. Looks amazing! Your husband must really, really LOVE you to do that in 100 degree heat. I have one to do and I was wondering…where did you get your faucet hardware? Need to get some and LOVE yours!

23. Oh wow!! You must be so thrilled!! And no wonder you’re so in love with the hubs — he’s a rock star!
    Heidi @ Decor & More recently posted..I Love Thrifting Day 2012!

24. In that heat? I would have caved & bought one already finished. :-) Seriously, this guy is truly amazing to do this! He does so much and both of you are extremely talented. I honestly am amazed that he could tolerate the heat like that.

The tub is truly gorgeous! I know your completed bath is going to be beautiful…and I think a long soak is in order for him.

Pat
    Pat recently posted..~ Sunshine Award ~

25. Shirley says:

Traci the tub is beautiful. I noticed all through the blog you said “we”. (Ha-Ha) Cy did a great job and he deserves some extra hugs and kisses. Can’t wait to see it all finished but I am sure not as much as you do but as they say you are never finished. Thanks for sharing, you are such a sweetie..

26. What a fabulous job, Traci! And what a keeper Cy is! I’ll bet that you just love having such a handy hubby! lol! I love the look of your tub next to that awesome planked wall, too. Reminds me of something I’d see over at Layla’s at Lettered Cottage. :) Enjoy that tub, girlie! I have one in my bathroom and can’t imagine my life without it! lol!

xoxo laurie
    laurie recently posted..No Fear Layering

27. was it worth it?? yes mam’m! think of all the love you felt for hubby! think of your boys being with you! that is something you all will remember for the rest of your lives! enjoy the moment, Dear One. Job well done! gorgeous!!! now put the little rubber duckie in! :)
    Pink Hugs,
    Dee

28. My husband looked at all these photos and said to tell you that your husband is a saint!
    kathy recently posted..Making Your Mother-in-Law Your Friend

29. P.S. It is beautiful!!!
    kathy recently posted..Making Your Mother-in-Law Your Friend

30. Patty Lucas says:

What a wonderful job. Our tub is built into the wall so we can’t remove it but I think it could be done the same way. Thanks for sharing.

31. Looks amazing! What a great job

32. Traci. your tub is beautiful and so is your home. I have a hard working husband who is usually ready to tackle most any project but I’m not sure he would have done this. I am so glad your husband didn’t have a heat stroke! It is very obvious the love he has for his family by all the hard work and sweat he has put into making this house a home . He is setting a good example for the boys in his “can do” attitude. How proud you must be!

33. Traci. It’s is beautiful! I love it. Y’all are having some wicked heat this summer…Texas is fairly mild this year believe it or not. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay that way, after last year we’re still feeling the effects of intense heat and drought.
    So who got to take the first bubble bath in the tub? you or Cy?
    Cindi @ RustiqueArt recently posted..straddling the fence {rustic garden}

34. Wow, Traci, Cy is the MAN! Sometimes we can say a guy is being “a man” but when we say they’re “THE man,” it means they’ve done something extraordinary. Giggle giggle…..

That tub looks professionally done and think of all the money you’ve saved!!

Terri

35. Very, very lovely! This post is very timely for me since I just started refinishing a clawfoot tub for our bathroom redo. I’m still working on the outside but I have a question about the inside; why did you strip it first? Mine seems to be enamel and I was just planning to use the Rustoleum Tub and Tile paint from Menards and follow their instructions for application. Now you have me rethinking. Maybe I need to strip (the tub) first???

Oh, and my tub has a date on the bottom too. I forget exactly but I know the year was ’42. Not as old as yours but it looks identical down to the feet.

36. Traci,

It’s been so long since I’ve commented. I just got a new computer yesterday. I have missed seeing all of your projects! I love your bathtub. It turned out beautiful. I just know that you love it. Now you have inspired me to get to work on ours. I bought one at an auction over 5 years ago. Thank you for the inspiration! I just showed my husband your post. :)

Hugs.
    Lee Laurie

37. This project took me back to last year when I was refinishing our antique claw foot tub! Our inside was in good shape, so we did not need to redo it… just clean it real well! Yours turned out fantastic! Just a note if you have a building or plumbing permit, you might need to change out your faucet our tub came with the same type original faucet, but we were told it would not pass code here in Ohio. I have enjoyed watching you add to your new home!
    dee dee

38. Visiting from A to Z. That looks amazing and i love the tip about the automotive paint!
    Stephanie recently posted..Inverted Blueprint with Picasa

39. Your tub looks great! We had an old claw foot tub years ago, painted the outside and had the inside professionally done. Unfortunately, the builders stuck a ladder in it and scraped it up before we even got to use it! I don’t think there were any diy kits back then. Would love to have a clsw foot tub again.

40. This is beautiful! Was your inside already painted? Mine are porcelain and I’m sure paint stripper wouldn’t remove it. I’ve cleaned and polished the interior (not the bottom) and painted the outside years ago, but you’ve inspired me to make a change in color on the exterior. I used the paint on finish at another house and it worked really well. It is also possible to have them reporcelained which bonds the finish to the iron for not too much if you can transport the tub. otherwise it’s expensive. I really want to do it to my old -fashioned sink.
    My bath has the original faucets, but since they’re original to the house they’re grandfathered into the code here in Ohio. In another house I had for rental they passed as it wasn’t on a shower. Yours look reproduction, so I’m sure they meet code.
    The molding is also really beautiful. I can’t wait to wee the final product.
    CTD
    I love Eli at the facucet. Running water is kind of a miracle that we take for granted.

41. I love it! You guys did a fantastic job on refurbishing it. I would never think to look on craigslist for a tub but now I definitely will!!!

Anna

42. Marilyn C. says:

Traci – Absolutely stunning! Poor Cy, hope he doesn’t get too overheated in this lovely heat we are having here in the south. Yes, it has been brutal the last few days, but God is merciful – we had rain and temps were 20 degrees cooler than two days ago. :)

Marilyn C.

43. Hi Traci,

WOW, are you the luckiest wife in the world or what? How wonderful of Cy to work so hard to make your home a beautiful place to live.

I just had to let you know that I have a friend that refinished antique tub like yours with the same product. I saw it and it was gorgeous just like yours. About a year later I was talking to her about her tub and she told me that her husband was dealing with severe muscle pain and decided to use the tub to soak in and he added Epsom Salts………PLEASE DO USE ANY BATH SALTS WHAT SO EVER, it ate into the paint and made the beautiful finish that was in it all rough and ugly. She was so sad and her husband was so sorry that he accidentally ruined her tub. WHO KNEW!?!?!?

I’m posting this info just in case no one else did. I haven’t got time to read them all.

Blessings and Hugs from Louisiana,
    Dawn

44. Beautiful job! Your bathroom is going to be gorgeous!

45. Words aren’t enough to describe this post! i know that you know what an amazing man you have there. The “Cys” in this world are a rare breed. Not many men would do the things he does for you and your family. The fact that you love him soooo much brings a smile to my face.
    Jackie B recently posted..Thoughts on Lent

46. It looks amazing. You two do work so hard, but you always do something that is fabulous. I love it. Hugs, Marty
    Marty@A Stroll Thru Life recently posted..124th Table Top Tuesday-Special Announcement

47. It’s just gorgeous, Traci! As for being worth all the work, maybe we should ask Cy….lol!

Just an FYI regarding Cy’s sweating. My hubby sweats like crazy & discovered an item that keeps it out of his eyes & off projects. He bought some thin sponge-type things from a place that carries supplies for welding. They fit around your head with a nice half-inch band & welders use them under their helmets. He bought a ton and always has them handy, so when one gets totally “sweat-logged” he just grabs another one. He just hangs them some place to dry and then re-uses them until they disintegrate. He’s been working on a garden building during our triple-digit AZ weather. He doesn’t even mind when I call him “mophead!”

48. Looks amazing!! I’m impressed that he was working in the insane heat this weekend! It was miserable to just walk outside to the car, let alone work outside doing manual labor! Great job Cy!
    abby recently posted..Pinterest Challenge: Nursery Curtains

49. Yes, it’s worth it! I would do the same thing. I’m so glad someone else out there is as crazy as I am.
    Ronda recently posted..Happy Birthday!

50. Dear Traci,

She’s a beauty!!!!
    You’ll love soaking in this tub after a long hard day!
    Great job.

God bless and I know God will honor all your hard work.
    d
    deanna recently posted..Bob’s Diner

51. The tub looks wonderful. I was wondering a little bit about how much you have invested in the tub. In the video you said you paid $275 for the tub from Craigslist. At the end of the re-do pictures you said you have about $250 into the tub. Does that mean you have invested $250 in addition to the $275 purchase price? It didn’t seem like you spent $250 on the cleaner and paint. I can’t tell if you got a new faucet. It looks like the original one, but looks shinier. I just have a mathematical mind. Thank you for all you inspiration.

52. Oooooo,, so glad to read this. We are getting ready to re-do the ugly tile in our bathroom with this kit and I’m so glad to know how great it worked for you guys. :) Good bye ugly green tile wall…….
    Daune | Cottage in the Oaks recently posted..The Blessing Tree…..

53. Wow! I would love an old clawfoot tub. What a hard worker your husband is, he is amazing. The tub looks wonderful in your bathroom. I didn’t even know Lowes had tub refinishing kits. I might have to start keeping my eyes open for a clawfoot tub. I’ll break the news to my husband later about the project I want him to take on.

54. Traci – love your tub. I have one like this but it needs to be re-done. a few years ago I used the stuff from Lowes but during winter we let water set in it for several days to use to flush the stool during bad weather and I have a few spots peeling. I like th idea of how he sanded the tub first. Also, I really need new fausets since the chrome on mine is a little bubbly. Did you purchase new fausets? If so where did you get them?

55. Hi there! Where did you get your faucet hardware from? I have a very similar looking clawfoot tub that I’m in the process of refinishing, and I’m having the hardest time finding great hardware. Love yours! PS – your tub looks great!

56. WOW… I am thoroughly impressed with your hubby…that looks like such hard work…but the results…gorgeous!
    Cindy B recently posted..A New Plant…and pet???

57. I’ve been wondering how the paint refinishing kit actually works! Thank you for sharing your sweat, blood, and tears with us! It had great reviews on the HD or Lowes website. We have a tub from the 50s that desperately needs to be repainted. Can’t wait to try this!

58. This is a fab tutorial! Thank you! I have an older clawfoot tub sitting in my basement from my family’s cottage in Maine… We took it out before it was rebuilt. I was wondering how to refinish it. Your husband is a good man. :)

59. Hi Tracy _ still wondering where you got your faucet for your clawfoot tub?

60. Your tub is beautiful! Your hubby did a wonderful job!!

61. Scott Williams says:

I just aquired a tub from one of my clients….I am stockbroker by day, budding restoration of anything as often as possible. My tube is a 5′ clawfoot with a manufactured date of 1/13/99 as in 1899. It is in pretty good shape but needs the same treatment as yours. You did a nice job. Your efforts will be very helpful in my completing of this job.

62. I am still floored by this project Traci. It is beyond gorgeous (& such a steal!!!) We have had that refinishing kit in our shed for three years… & I am terrified to try it. (Mostly because we are a one bathroom household!) How is the epoxy holding up? Our tub is in need of some lovin. This might just be the year.

xo-Kristin
    Kristin | the Hunted Interior recently posted..Bedding: Pattern Love

63. It looks amazing!!! It really helped me appreciate how much work it would be to do a similar project. I am looking to rent an apartment I fell in love with with an antique clawfoot tub that a previous tenant painted the inside of with regular house paint and now is peeling. I am negotiating with the landlord to fix it. It doesn’t make sense for me to put in hundreds of dollars into a rental! I think the moral of the story here is DO IT RIGHT! That means $$$, blood sweat and tears! Great results come with it :)

64. Hi I am preparing to do a claw foot tub for the first time and yours turned out great! What kind of paint stripper did you use? I only have a small window to do this so I have to be prepared, I don’t want to have to run to the store to get more supplies if what I got doesn’t work.

65. Hi!
    I am getting ready for my own clawfoot tub refinishing adventure and your post has made it seem like a possibility to do it myself. I am wondering how this has held up. I have heard that some of the tub refinishing kits do not hold up very well and am nervous about putting all that work in to have it not work.

66. Thanks for sharing that, Traci! I’m in the process (finally!!) of refinishing a cast iron claw foot tub and I’m looking for tips and tricks and info. I take it your tub was painted on the inside as well as the outside(?). I don’t think mine is. I just have a little rust on the inside to contend with.
    I was especially glad to see that you used spray paint! My husband is an auto body tech/painter by trade, and he’s been making this venture (the way I want to do it) sound impossible! :-) I can see from your post here that it’s absolutely do-able (by ME!) and I can’t wait now to get moving on it! I started scraping loose paint today. This weekend I’ll get it moved outside and get the feet off it. Hubby did offer to do some sanding with is DA, so that’ll be helpful. (He’s not into this rehab/refinishing stuff around the house. That’s MY thing!)
    I’ll let you know how it turns out! Thanks again.

67. i know that your husband worked really, really hard on this in the grueling heat, but the fact that you watched him do that for your family with your boys is priceless. they’ll probably never forget how hard their daddy worked for something that was so important to you and that is an incredible lesson. plus, it will make them appreciate an ‘old tub’ a lot more! ☺ a beautiful story is told here; when you said that you fell in love with him a little more that day, i knew just what you meant. my husband and i spend most of our time collaborating and DIYing on our 1925 home together. it’s our baby!!
    xoxo, sharonna misha
    sharonna misha recently posted..happy fashion week friday 2013!!

68. Actually in the middle of the same process! Your finished tub looks great! Hope ours goes as well ;)

69. Hi Traci, I love the makeover of the tub…. Thanks for sharing!

70. We’ve got a similar tub that we are working on. How do the legs attach?

71. Hi there, Neat posting. Likely to issue as well as your web-site with web browser, could follow through? For example ‘s still the market main in addition to a big section others is going to rule out the great producing for that reason dilemma.

72. I’m so impressed! This weekend I’m moving into a 125 year old house with a clawfoot tub. You can tell that someone tried to paint the outside of it, but now that paint is bubbling and peeling. I would LOVE to get it looking pristine again. I grew up in a home with a clawfoot tub, so I’m excited!
    Shona recently posted..4 Social Media Tools I Use Daily (& Why)

73. Where did you find the faucets? How much did they cost? Thank you for your info.

74. Hi – we’re doing the same thing to a tub we bought on craigslist! thanks for the great instructions! One question… we’re trying to buy the drain/overflow pipe for it and can’t find one that fits, they all seem to be 14″ horizontal, but the drain hole is much closer than 14″ from the tub wall, about 5″. It looks just like yours. Did you buy a drain that was longer and cut the pipe? or did you find one that fit perfectly?

75. Just wondering…I see that this post is a couple years old. How has the paint held up over the years? Does the tub get used regularly?

76. I’m wondering how it’s holding up a couple of years later as well. We would love an update!
    Good, bad, or ugly. :)

• OMG! My hubby and I bought a 1929 tub like yours in MUCH worse shape. He followed the guidelines you posted. We are almost done and it is AMAZING! God bless you and your husband and thank you.

77. was wondering how the refinished tub is holding up sense 2012