Fireplace Makeover Reveal!

October 10, 2012 AT 10:45 am 95 Comments

Oh, girls!  We have been so busy around here!  So busy, I didn’t even have time to post yesterday and share what we’ve been up to.  But if feels so good to be getting things done.

One of the major things that I have been wanting to get checked off our list was our fireplace makeover.

I have never liked our fireplace every since we moved in our home over a year ago.

fireplace makeover

I’ve wanted to get my hands on that thing for-eva!

Here is what it looked like exactly one month ago.  We were installing the hard wood floor at that time.

fireplace makeover

The fireplace had these four vents that were huge eyesores.  I knew I needed to get rid of them or paint over them.

fireplace makeover

I took them off and found a lot of cobwebs.

fireplace makeover

There also used to be a small brown mantle on this fireplace that had been glued down and was barely hanging on.  Adam pulled on it one day while standing on the fireplace, and down it went!   I wasn’t mad because I was wanting to get rid of it anyway. Smile

fireplace makeover

We only had a small ledge left.

So can you agree with me that this fireplace was in need of a makeover?

fireplace makeover

Well, my first thought was to white wash the brick.  I LOVED the wall my wall in my bathroom turned out (you can see that HERE), so why not try it on my fireplace?

Let’s just say that it was a project fail.  I didn’t water down the paint enough, and it went on the brick way too thick.

I disliked it so much, that I didn’t even take a picture of it. Smile

But I did find this one when Cy was working on the floor.  (Yes, my sweetie works in his dress socks.)

fireplace makeover

As you can see, it didn’t turn out like I had hoped.

So we moved on to plan B.  Which was really plan A, but I thought I would try white washing it first to see how it turned out.  I knew I could cover it up if I didn’t like it.

We were so excited when Kevin and Layla posted their fireplace makeover just a couple of weeks ago!  It couldn’t have been a more perfect timing, and Cy used it as his guideline.  He had to do some things differently because of the ledge and vents on ours.

Cy got busy on building a surround for the fireplace, and I will share the steps with you tomorrow. This long post would be even longer if I included all the steps in it!

fireplace makeover

He worked his tail off on this surround!

So are you ready to see it?

I haven’t decorated it yet, so it’s all naked, but it still looks pretty to me.

fireplace makeover

Now let’s look at the before and after side by side…

Yikes!  I love it!!!

Now I get to have fun decorating it.  Smile

I’ll be back tomorrow with a tutorial of how we did it.

Have a blessed day!

UPDATE:

Here is what our mantel looks like now:

Beneath_My_Heart_Fireplace

Comments

1. looks AMAZEing!!!!!!! you & your hubby sure are handy and I love how you achieve your visoin together.

2. OH TRACI!!! It turned out FANTASTICALLY! WOW!!!!!

3. WOW!!!! Love, Love, LOVE it!!

4. “Shut the front door!” that is fabulous! Wow, I love it! Can’t wait to share this post with my hubby, he’s going to flip!

It’s awesome Traci!
    Cindi @ Rustique Art recently posted..Bye-Bye Ugly 80′s Antiqued Brass Chandelier {Weekend Project}

5. LOVE it Traci! It looks wonderful!!
    Mandy Rose recently posted..Sip & See: Sweet Baby Girl

6. Gena in Texas says:

Traci, it turned out great! It looks Fabulous!!!! My husband is handy like yours! What a blessing to have them!

7. LOVE!!! You just made my day!! I have an ugly fireplace that I have been wanting to change forever too and this is just the perfect idea!! Thanks so much for sharing all your amazing talent! it looks so beautiful!
    Amy {The Idea Room} recently posted..DIY Hot Pads

8. You are a lucky lady! We only have a wood burning stove and it’s in the corner – no mantle so I don’t get to decorate it :(
    marsha recently posted..Dresser Redo

9. Nice makeover guys..I had to redo my fireplace as well.
    Kevin those weird vents got me thinking if they were probably some heat vents (attached to the housing of the fireplace) so when the fireplace got hot it would push out hot air from the top vents. The lower vents were air intakes. This is kind of what the fans do in the gas insert fireplaces today. I have a blower at the bottom of mine it comes on by a heat sensor attached to the housing so when the fireplace gets up to a certain temperature the fan energizes sucking in from the bottom of the fireplace thus blowing out hot air from the top into the room maximizing efficiency.

10. Melanie swank says:

Wow! It turned out beautifully! It makes me wish I had a fireplace. Enjoy

11. Woahhhhh! My mouth literally is hanging open at the after pic. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I can’t wait to see the whole room. You guys are so handy.

Best transformation evah!

12. It’s awesome! I love it and can’t wait till you decorate it for Christmas!

13. Oh good grief Charlie Brown …!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys NEVER cease to amaze me and I already know you guys are amazing … so you’d think I’d get used to it by now!!

Absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Lee Ann Strobridge says:

LOVE it! Great job…
    I enjoy reading your blog so much! always excited to see a news update on your home!
    Thanks of being who you are!

15. I absolutely LOVE it! Esp. with the black paint on the bricks! Gorgeous!

16. Traci and Cy I LOVE IT!!!! I can’t wait to see how you decorate it!!!!
    Jessica recently posted..Verses of Encouragement

17. It’s gorgeous!!! Well done.

18. Amazing!! Not that I would think anything less. You are Cy make the most amazing team, and have a super talent. That fireplace is wonderful, and I cannot wait to see it all dressed up!!

Thanks for sharing!
    Jenn @ One Thrifty Chick recently posted..The Evolution of the Garage {aka Man Room}

19. Awesome! You guys are so talented!
    Danielle recently posted..Less Complaining, More Cooperating

20. You have outdone yourselves once again! WOW is all I can say.. and GORGEOUS!! I’m loving it.. can’t wait to see the tutorial.. our fireplace is pretty sorry and could use some sprucing up. Thanks again Traci for another beautiful, inspiring makeover :-)

God Bless,
    Jeana

21. This one left me speechless! WOW!
    Joyce

22. HOLY MOLY! Its gorgeous!
    Karri recently posted..A chore.

23. What a brilliant idea! I love it!

24. It looks AMAZING!! I LOVE it Traci!!
    Tonya @ Love of Family & Home recently posted..Beadboard Wallpaper Tutorial

25. Oh wowsers. I love it! It’s gorgeous my friend. xoxo

26. It’s beautiful! I saw that same post from Layla and wanted to do the same thing to my fireplace, but mine would be harder to do. We would have to cover three sides of it with board and that could be pricey/time consuming/hard. Our fireplace sticks out quite a bit from the wall. Your finished product definitely makes me want to try though…it’s beautiful!
    Jessica @ Home and Faith recently posted..When it rains….

27. Amazing transformation!! Great job!

Judy
    Judy Clark recently posted..It Didn’t Rain in Oklahoma

28. Wow!! It looks so beautiful now! Love it!
    Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage recently posted..Which you do you like?

29. WOW! That’s incredible!

30. Love it! Wish I had a fireplace so I could copy it! :-)
    Misty @ livingthrufaith.blogspot.com recently posted..Keeneland Pics

31. Big Huge Wow!! Amazing!!

32. I love it! What an awesome job Cy did! What a lucky lady to have a hubby that can do everything you want to your house! I can see the wheels spinning in your head as you decide how you want to decorate it! Oh, how fun!

33. I would have never thought to do that! So smart! I love it so much. I can’t wait to see it all decorated!
    Megan@JustForMeAndYou2 recently posted..DIY Upholstered Bench

34. Gorgeous, Traci! I love the color on the brick and how it contrasts with the white surround. Can’t wait to see it all decked out ;)
    Lauren recently posted..Day 10 :: Fighting Fear {part 2}: Think on the Truth

35. BEAUTIFUL! I can’t believe that is the same fireplace!!!

36. Oh Traci (I’m making a long, loving sigh right now.) It is absolutely beautiful. That turned out way better than I was picturing as you were going along in your post. All I can say is WOW! I love it. I really cannot wait to see you put your decorating touch on it.
    Very nice job.
    Kelli recently posted..I’ve been a little busy.

37. It looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to see how you decorate it!
    Janet recently posted..Fall Grapevine Wreath with Pine Cone Flowers {Take Two}

38. It looks fantastic! Such a great architectural element now – can’t wait to see how you did it, as a fireplace makeover has been on my to do list for awhile now…
    Jenny@EvolutionofStyle recently posted..Homearama Home Tour – Day 5

39. love the surround! Now you and Layla and Sarah make me want to do some sort of treatment to the wall above my mantel. I don’t have brick and the bottom is fine but I love the molding on top! :) Not sure I am in love with the black brick but I think it it will grow on me as you decorate the mantel and the rest of the room. ;) Great job, Cy and Traci!
    Christina @ The Frugal Homemaker recently posted..Yarn wreath {Day 10 of 31 days of Pinterest: Pinned to Done}

40. I love it Traci…. even better than the white-washed brick! Looks sooo good! Can’t wait to see it decorated… esp. for Christmas! :) Blessings!

41. That. Is. Gorgeous. !!

42. Beautiful!

43. Traci, this absolutely made me giddy! It’s so beautiful! I love how it turned out. Great job!!! The colors of your home inspire me. I am currently transforming my kitchen. The cabinets are going from barn red aged with black to creamy white uppers and beige lowers. I cannot wait to have it all finished. :)

44. GORGEOUS! What a night and day difference – I just love it!
    Emily @ On the V Side recently posted..Getting Inspired in the Garden

45. Fabulous!!!!!

46. TracieMcOB says:

1st word that popped out of my mouth when I scrolled down to the ‘After” – WOW! Nothing else really covers it. FAN. TAS. TIC.!!!!

47. LOVE IT!!!!!!!

48. Wow, it now just looks so much bigger…. and grander….. and really pops! Lovely job.

49. Jean in TX says:

Love the boards above the mantel. I too just redid my fireplace – 12″ wide of dark brick with ledge is now travertine tile and some wall space, and the mantel was remodeled to work in the new tiled area. Love the inspiration.

50. Jean in TX says:

Sorry mean to say 12 feet, not 12 inches.

51. Wow! That looks SO GOOD! I love the color you painted the bricks. I don’t know if I could ever talk my husband into painting the bricks of our fireplace, but I’m definitely considering it now. Great job, Cy!

52. It is so beautiful….you have a great gift. I never can visualize how things will look when done, but you do a great job. My hubby is much better at diy than I and I’m thankful for that. Can’t wait to see it decorated. Just in time for Harvest Time

53. Oh my gosh, Traci!!!! It’s BEAUTIFUL!!! Your Cy is truly an amazing craftsman, girl! I can see why you’re head over heels in love with it…..and him. lol! GREAT job!!!

xoxo laurie

54. Oh I love the fireplace re-do. I am never surprize to what you can do, I gave that up a long time ago. Beautiful… Thankes for sharing.

55. It’s beautiful! I love love love it. I have a question for you. I have a GIGANTIC brick fireplace that takes up a huge portion of our front sitting room. It comes 4 feet out from the wall and goes all the way up to the vaulted ceiling. I love it for it’s uniqueness but it does not fit my color scheme. It is cream and the rest of our home is white, taupe/grey, black. Would white washing cream brick be a good look or just awful? It is so huge & such a focal point in our living/dining area that I don’t want to mess up. Thanks Tracey! You’re amazing!!!!

56. OHHHHHHH, how beautiful! You two are wonderful together – I need to show my husband what a wonderful team you make! Great job!

57. Amazing transformation! It looks great!
    Mary@athomeonthebay recently posted..Pillow Shams

58. Texas Girl says:

Love, love, love your fireplace makeover. Can’t wait to see your home when you are all finished.

59. That looks great!!

60. WOW! You guys did an amazing job! I love the colors and just the whole look of the area. I cant wait to see what you use to decorate it with – I have always wanted a mantle like that to change with the seasons :) Great job!
    veronica recently posted..Adventures in Blogging: Get Ready!

61. I’m so excited for you! I love the new fireplace surround. It really compliments the other updates you’ve made and flows so well with the rest house. You must be feeling so proud!! Can’t wait to see the final living room reveal…

Sharon
    Sharon @ mrs. hines class recently posted..the perfect side dish: roasted asparagus

62. Jerri C. TN says:

Fireplace looks awesome. It makes me want to change mine but my ceiling is so high. I have to admit, when I saw the exposed brick painted in black I was shocked initially…..but now I see how it ties in with the door. You are so smart!!!

63. Janet Byrum says:

beautiful”)

64. Oh my lands wow. I gasped when I saw it.

Can’t wait to see it all decorated!

65. Amazing, Traci! Your Cy is a miracle worker — can’t wait to see how you decorate it. Have fun!
    xo Heidi
    Heidi @ Decor & More recently posted..Some Front Porch Fall Touches

66. Belinda Aguirre says:

Oh Traci–this has to be my favorite project so far–at least I think so, there have been so many. You guys have really outdone yourselves. Congrats–Belinda

67. Linda S. in NE says:

Cy and Traci, What a great job you have both done. I also was a little shocked at the black brick, but immediately noticed the refreshed black front door to tie it together. Do you two realize if you could clone yourselves and put that listing on ebay, you could be independently wealthy!! Oh wait, there are those four handsome, well-behaved boys coming up the ladder!! Lucky you.
    Linda S. in NE

68. Wow…that’s so cool!

69. Traci, it’s gorgeous! I don’t need the step by step to tell me that it’s beautiful. :)
    Katherine @ Grass Stains recently posted..Kitchen chair facelift

70. I love it! I like the grey brick. I just posted today about the make over on my mother’s fireplace check it out it ya have time.
    Ronda recently posted..Nana’s Day – Fireplace Redo

71. Oh wow, Traci!! I love the makeover. Loved what Kevin & Layla did too and you knocked this out of the park. Tell Cy he does some fabulous work. Enjoy, I know you’re excited to get finished too. xoxo

72. Way to go, Cy! Traci, it’s just beautiful. I know you’re relieved to have that project DONE–and what a difference it’ll make in your home! I’m so glad for you!!
    Richella @ Imparting Grace recently posted..Grace at Home No. 30–Welcome!

73. As usual Traci, it’s absolutely gorgeous! Cy certainly does beautiful work. It’s certainly worth having to buy dress socks a bit more often when you get results like this! If I had a fireplace, I’d probably be copying this idea, but alas I don’t. Still waiting to see what you do with the window in the bathroom. I just saw an idea on Stay at Home-ista. They put in a normal window, but it looks like they have marble around the outside of it and then they installed a frameless piece of glass on the inside edge on hinges so it can swing open to wash the window. She says it works wonderfully. Sharon

74. LOOKS AMAZING! I can’t wait to see how Cy did it! :-)

75. I love how you painted the brick black. Gorgeous!!

76. Tina McNamara says:

You should check out Camille Roskelly”s fireplace makeover at Simplify blogpost. The top part of your makeover is identical to hers. Nice job

77. Love this! Holy smokes what a transformation. Sorry if you mentioned this and I missed it but what did you do with the vents? We have an old 1970’s fireplace that is about to meet my diyness soon and those darn vents are stumping me!
    jessica@fourgenerationsoneroof recently posted..DIY shoe storage

78. WOW! What a beautiful transformation! Yes, I just did give my fireplace a dirty look for looking so…blah. haha! Thanks for the inspiration! I’ve had materials sitting here for a year to do something with it. Maybe the fireplace glared right back at me since I’ve neglected it. lol

Have a great weekend, Traci!
    Roeshel recently posted..Painted Striped Curtains {apartment sneak peek}

79. This is a wonderful transformation. I love that you used the dark grey on the hearth. Just perfect.

80. I love this, Traci. The contrast between the grey and the white is perfect. Makes me want to get on our mantle project- pronto. Thanks for sharing.
    Heather @ ThriftyStories recently posted..Day 17: Honey Garlic Barbecue Sauce

81. Wowzers! Great transformation Traci and I bet you can’t wait to get started prettying it up some more!. Have fun and I can’t wait to see her all decorated.
    xoxo,
    Kim
    Kim recently posted..Christmas Sneak Peak

82. Wheeww!!So stunning!Very unique outcome!Great job :)
    hans recently posted..Learning the Basics of Real Estate Investing

83. Thank you!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for! Our fireplace is a BIG project right now ( along with many others)!! I cant wait to try this!! Thank you again <3

84. On my gosh you are so lucky!! It is so beautiful and so is the entire room! We are in a stinkin rental and feel like we will never find a house. You are so blessed! What a gorgeous job! Kudos to Cy and also to you!

85. I also have a fireplace with the four vents and everything I read says not to cover them. Do you use your fireplace and if so, have you had any problems?

86. Hello Beneath my Heart
    Saw ur fireplace redo on Pinterest. What color gray/black is the brick painted? Thanks! It looks great!
    Shelby

87. wow…what an improvement…..just beautiful.