Thanks for all of your sweet comments on my Fireplace Makeover Reveal yesterday.
I wanted to hug all of your necks! We (mostly Cy) worked so hard on that fireplace surround, so it was great for us to read all the great positive feedback. I felt like y’all were giving us a bunch of “high fives”, and it was awesome.
If you came to my house to see the fireplace in person, you and I would look something like this…
And then we would go get a Coke at McDonald’s to celebrate, and probably eat chocolate too.
Today, I want to show you the steps we took in creating our fireplace surround.
Cy had to get pretty creative to make it work, but he did it.
We were using this picture as our inspiration…
There were two problem areas on our fireplace.
1. The brick stuck out in two different places.
2. The vents were going to need to be covered up by the surround.
Cy started the project by building a frame above the mantle ledge to create a flat surface between the two places where the brick stuck out.
To attach the wood to the brick you need to first drill a hole in the brick with a concrete drill bit. Then drill through the wood as well.
Next, add PL Adhesive by Locktite to the back of the wood…
Then attach the wood to the brick using a concrete screw.
The brick on top of the fireplace stuck out a bit, so Cy had to come up with a way to create a flat surface on the front.
He used his level to help him figure it out.
By attaching a “filler” piece to the 2×4, he was able to create a level surface to attach the plywood to.
Once he had his frame, he added a large piece of cabinet grade birch plywood to it.
Next, we added 1×6 boards of Poplar wood to create the “planks.” You could use pine or mdf boards to save money because you will be painting them.
If you put nickels between each board as you attach them, it creates nice even spacing between each board.
Next, Cy began attaching ripped pieces of 2×4’s below the mantle (the same way he did above the mantle) to create a frame to attach the birch plywood to.
He cut and attached birch plywood directly below the mantle…
And down both sides of the fireplace to cover the vents…
Because we wanted to cover the vents, we had to attach the wood a little bit closer to the fireplace opening than we would have liked. We only have about 4 inches between the wood and the fireplace opening on the sides. Therefore, it technically cannot be a working fireplace. It doesn’t work right now anyway, so we are okay with that.
Cy added a 2×4 to the front brick ledge and trimmed it out with the birch plywood to create the mantle.
Next he covered up the mantle and the sides of the fireplace with ripped 1×6 poplar boards to fit.
Then there was a lot of adding decorative trim to the fireplace.
It is really up to you how you want to trim out your fireplace. We just chose the pieces we liked and added them.
After Cy finished trimming everything out, he caulked all of the crevices. Don’t forget to caulk! It makes a world of difference!!
I forgot to take an after picture of the picture molding that Cy add with 1/2 x 3 inch poplar, but you can see it in the picture below.
I painted the wood with two good coats of white paint, and the brick with Ebony Fields by Valspar. It’s a gorgeous blackish, grayish, brownish color.
Cy also cleaned out the inside of the fireplace and spray painted it with a high heat spray paint.
You can see in this picture that I also painted our front door the same color as the brick. It really made a huge difference in the space.
Hopefully I can get the mantle decorated soon and share it with you.
If I left anything out, or if you have any questions about this process, feel free to ask!