A Day in the Life

  1. Hey sweet friends!

I pray you had a blessed Labor Day weekend!  

Today, I am joining some of my blog friends to share what a typical day in my life looks like!  Christy, Rhoda, and I are sharing today, and Chris, Amy, and Karianne are sharing on Wednesday!

If you are visiting from my dear friend, Rhoda’s blog…WELCOME!

When they asked me to join this blog hop, I almost said no because a “day in my life” now looks NOTHING like it did just a few months ago!

If you are new here, you may not know that just over 6 weeks ago, our family of seven moved from the only place we have every lived, Kentucky, to a fixer upper right outside of Nashville, Tennessee.  It has been quite a fast-paced and crazy journey. 

Our lives in Kentucky were normal and predictable.  We had our daily routines memorized, and the home we had lived in for 8 years was almost completely renovated.  Everything had a place and a purpose.  Life was good.   (haha!)

Our Kentucky Home

And then we felt the tug to move near Nashville and decided to put our house on the market in the late spring.  It sold, we found a fixer upper in Tennessee, and then before you knew it, we had moved.  It was a whirlwind!

Our Tennessee Fixer Upper!

The first 5 weeks we were down here, we lived in our son’s apartment while renovating the inside of our home.  Then all seven of us moved into the MIL suite in the back of our fixer upper when the lease on our son’s apartment was up.  JUST LAST WEEK, the new flooring in our home was finally installed, so we have begun slowly moving our furniture in our home.   Right now, the only thing in our rooms are our beds.


When the kiddos started school three weeks ago, our days began to have a little more structure to them, so I am going to share with you what a typical day has looked for me since then. 

Here we go!

I’m an early riser, so I have been waking up at 4:45 am to participate in the live workout for the FASTer Way to Fat Loss program. 

I have been a participating in this program off and on for the past two years, and it has been life changing to me!  They have recently started offering the live workouts, and I LOVE THEM!  I love being able to workout at home from my laptop before I have to wake up the kids to get ready for school.

The workouts are only 30 minutes long, so I usually wake the kids up around 5:45 to get them ready for school.  My two oldest boys, Jonathan (20) and Luke (18,) live in the MIL suite in the back of the house, so I don’t have to wake them up. 

But I do have to wake my younger three, Adam (15), Sania (12,) and Eli (12.)


I fix them an easy breakfast and make sure they have everything they need in their back packs, and then the bus picks them up at our house around 7:00 am.  Once they leave, I usually start or fold any laundry we may have, (which is usually a ton!) and pick up around the house a bit. 

Then I typically take a quick shower and get ready.  I like to take my laptop to local coffee shops and work.  I do better work when I am out of the house. 

My favorite coffee shops in the area are Frothy Monkey, The Good Cup, Herban Market, or Honest Coffee Roasters at The Factory in Franklin.  

The work I do on my computer, and the amount of time I spend on my computer, varies from day to day.

Sometimes I am writing a blog post.  Sometimes I am answering emails.  Sometimes I am working on my Young Living business.  Sometimes I am writing and scheduling things on social media.  And sometimes it is all of the above!

Right now, a lot of my time has been spent on planning a new digital series about our renovation called Notes from Home.  This is a new venture for me, and I am loving it.  I have always loved working in video, so I am enjoying this outlet. 

If you haven’t seen any of our episodes, you can find them on my youtube channel HERE.

I usually work on my computer at the coffee shop for about 3 hours and then I head back home to see what my husband is up to!  He is the one doing the renovating on our fixer upper.


Sometimes, if I can’t help him on the job he is doing, I will go behind him and clean up.  :). Renovating can be a mess, and I try to keep things “picked up” as much as possible.  

In Kentucky, he was a banker, but for now, he is working on renovating our home and possibly pursuing a real estate career.

In the afternoons, I will also take pictures and video of the progress and post on social media or save them for our Notes from Home series.

My son, Luke, is helping me create this series, so sometimes we work on it during the day, and sometimes we work on it in the evenings.  It depends on his work schedule as well.


Lately, I have been spending a lot of time in the afternoons trying to organize all the stuff we moved here in our garage and storage shed.  It is a painfully slow process, but I have to do it. 

The kiddos get off the bus around 3:15, and if they don’t have XC or basketball practice, they are usually helping us with projects around the house. 

We are basically working on this renovation 24/7! haha!


I forgot to mention that my oldest son is a singer/songwriter and one of the main reasons we moved to Nashville. 

He usually leaves the house around 9 or 10 every morning to go to a “write.”  It’s when he meets with other writers/producers in Nashville to write songs.  (And he has written some good ones, y’all!  Some have even been put on “hold” by a MAJOR country artist, but I can’t say who right now.)

I love every afternoon when he gets home, because I get to hear the song he wrote that day!  And when Jonathan gets home, he usually jumps in and helps his dad with any project he has going on at that time. 


Most of the time, we eat dinner together as a family, but I will have to be honest with you….we have been eating out a LOT since moving to Nashville!

First of all, the food is GREAT here!  And secondly, I haven’t had a kitchen to cook in!  (Okay, technically I had a tiny kitchen in the apartment to cook in, but it stressed me out.  Okay, Okay!  Cooking stresses me out…period.)

After dinner, I help my kids with any homework they may have and then I get them ready for bed.  

I always have work to do after they are in bed.  Cy will usually watch a little tv, while I work for another hour or two on “blog stuff.”

If I am lucky, I am in bed by 11:00 pm.

And then we start back over the next day!  And for now, this is what my days look like.  No two days look the same.  They usually consist of the same elements (computer work, house work, mom work,) but rarely in the same order!

But I am very thankful for my job as a blogger and enjoy the freedom to work wherever and whenever I want.  Sometimes it is hard to set boundaries in my job, but I try my best.  

Now it is time to head over to  Christy’s blog, 11 Magnolia Lane, to see what a typical day for her looks like!  Be sure to visit Rhoda too, and the other fabulous ladies on Wednesday!

Be sure to visit all of this year’s series participants!


Christy at 11 Magnolia Lane | Rhoda at Southern Hospitality | Traci at Beneath My Heart


Amy at 11 Magnolia Lane | KariAnne at Thistlewood Farms | Chris at Just a Girl






Nashville Home Show ticket winners!!!

Janet Schweigler


Vickie Bedford

Lee Ann Burkhart

Nidia Olivas

Deaundra Oneal

Jill Young

Kathy Deaver

Jill Keck


(I replied to the winner’s comments on this blog post.  

If you are a winner, please email me at traci@beneathmyheart.net to claim your ticket!)



  1. Way to step out in faith, Traci–I love it! We lived in Clarksville, TN, for nine years and then in Nashville for another 2 years and I absolutely loved it there. I totally understand about eating out a lot because the food is so good, too! Your days are definitely much more interesting than mine; I’ll be following along with the video series for sure. Thanks so much for joining us! XO

  2. Great job Traci! Oh how I hope that Jonathan’s songs will be recorded by a major country artist. That will be SO AWESOME! I really enjoyed reading about your normal day. Have a blessed night!

  3. Such a wonderful series, and I loved reading about Rhoda’s day as well.. I’ve been freelancing and blogging for the past couple of years and it often feels like a very solitary profession. So it’s great to see how other bloggers work and spend their day.

    Dee ~ Vanilla Papers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *